Central Library, Multnomah County Library’s downtown Portland branch, opened to the public in 1913, during the tenure of Head Librarian Mary Frances Isom. Central Library was designed by renowned Portland architect A.E. Doyle.
This collection of historical Central Library photographs contains images of the building, staff and patrons over the years. It also includes a few photographs of earlier downtown Portland public libraries.
Central Library: Historical Photographs was released to coincide with Central Library’s 100th birthday celebration in 2013.
More information about the history of Central Library is available on the library's website.
Physical rights to the images in this collection are retained by Multnomah County Library. While Multnomah County Library may own the physical photographs that are reproduced on this site, we may or may not own the copyright to them. Copyright usually resides with the creator(s) of the items and will be noted in the Rights field of each image. When an item’s copyright is held by Multnomah County Library or is in public domain, the work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. The credit for use is "Central Library: Historical Photographs, Multnomah County Library, Oregon", and any other credits specified in the item metadata.
When there is a copyright holder, we may be able to assist in contacting them - please email us with your request.